Thursday, June 26, 2008

Evolution

Ancient Greeks used to compete in the nude so that nothing would compromise their abilities. It seems we are getting close to that idea with a little help from technology. Let’s take a look at the new Speedo, shall we??

This suit combines four innovations to maximize a swimmer’s potential for medal winning mania–
1. A densely woven nylon fabric with seams that are welded together
2. An “internal core stabilizer” that basically acts like a corset for a swimmers body
3. Polyurethane panels that act as a drag-reduction measure
4. A three dimensional pattern instead of a two dimensional one that hugs the body like a second skin

Wow. That's a lot of stuff for one swimsuit. Remember the olden days when you used to just wear three swim suits (drag suits) to those early morning swim practices? Then, the days of your meets you wear your special Speedo and you just felt so fast? I do. It wasn't really special, perhaps a few colorful patterns and even some shimmer (I had two Speedos with shimmer, I loved them, I wish I still had them), but they were great and I felt fast, even if I wasn’t really fast.

I guess feeling “special” just isn’t enough anymore. These new suits, which debuted in February, have quickly become the talk of the swimming world…promoting much debate and even lawsuits by other swimsuit companies. Already, 38 records have been broken by swimmers wearing the Speedo LZR. Oh, and did I mention that it costs $600 (if you could even get your hands on one)? Oh, and this is one of the best parts, it takes 20 minutes to even get into the thing. I’ve always been told if you can’t get into something within 5 minutes, there’s no point in wearing it.

Frankly, I miss my old Speedo. I miss the shimmer. Mostly though, I think I miss seeing this throughout the Olympics -











Speedos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!! Michael Phelps just won the the 400M IM and he did it without the new speedo top. YES!!! Let's keep those muscles in plain sight!!!moi